DID YOU KNOW?
- Population: Not known (IUCN Red list)
- Life span: 13 years
- Weight: Up to 3kg
- Height: Up to 100cm
Disgusting (and Interesting) Facts
- A Pangolin's tongue is longer than the animals head and body when fully extended. They use it to lap up ants and termites in deep cavities other animals can't reach.
- When born, Pangolins are about six inches long and weigh about 340 grams. Their scales are soft and pale, and begin to harden by the second day.
- One adult Pangolin can eat 70 million insects each year.
- Pangolins are covered in sharp scales that protect them from predators. If they are scared they curl up into a tight scale covered ball.
- Ants and Termites are a large part of the Pangolins diet. To prevent them from crawling in their ears and up their nose, they close them when feeding.
- Pangolins are the worlds most illegally traded wild mammal. They are desirable for their meat and their scales are used in traditional medicine.
- Pangolins are the only truly scaly mammal.
- Pangolins have the highest number of vertebrae (46-47) out of the mammals.